Saturday 2 May 2009

Going for a song

A very sunny day shortly after pay day with no plans so I visited two of my favourite record shops today: Intoxica and Honest Jon's. I'd forgotten what a nightmare Portobello Road is but as well as the record shops I was also in the market for a kurta (in anticipation of a blazing hot summer), but no luck on that score. Intoxica is an Aladdin's Cave but very expensive, overpriced even: "Cruisin' with Ruben and The Jets" for £100? Honest Jon's was full of far more realistic propositions, it also seems to have diversified a bit, or maybe I have. I picked up a couple of records anyway. I've been circling "Hear, O Israel" for a while now and when I saw it here on vinyl for a tenner I swooped. I love the cover art for this LP, which is a big reason to buy it on vinyl rather than cd. Otherwise an odd choice for an atheist jazz-hater you might think. But whereas I find a lot of jazz harsh and jarring this is very mellow. On the religion front - I'm not Jewish but I find judaic imagery comforting. My theory about this is that it's because I lived in Manchester for the first five years of my life.

The other thing was a compilation featuring the track "Seed" by Magpahi. The short sample of this track that's the only digital availability has been driving me mad for a few months now, so it's good to finally be able to listen to it all the way through.

After Notting Hill I doubled back into central London and got the Kuniyoshi catalogue I promised myself after seeing the exhibition. And that's it for spends this month I think. On a proper record buying binge I'd have headed for Berwick Street in Soho but I'm watching the pennies and also Selectadisc has apparently shut down. If true then that's the recession for you - I used to have to fight to get to the counter in that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment