Sunday 28 February 2010

We're all going to heaven

Nice cover eh? It seduced me anyway - the best songs for the most part being available on their first album. New to my ears though was their version of "May the Circle be Unbroken".

13th Floor Elevators: May The Circle Be Unbroken


A good, spectral version. The mother of all versions though is by the Staples Singers. I think the first I heard about the Staples Singers was that the Stones' "The Last Time" was a retread of one of their tunes. Then over the years they were occasionally mentioned by bands that I liked. Finally I heard "This May Be The Last Time" and realised what all the fuss was about.

I think I've mentioned before that I don't really believe in God, and on top of that I'd add that religion is pretty much poison. But then there's the Staples Singers. They can't get enough of it and they make it sound alright.

The Staples Singers: Too Close

No comments:

Post a Comment