Wednesday 8 October 2014

Which side are you on?

Or, are you a roundy or a squary? Without wishing to put words into the mouth of the late Roger Hargreaves I think his colours are pretty clearly nailed to the mast.

I often bewail the fact that this country is held in the poisonous grip of a right wing media, but generally kids books are full of this kind of leftist propaganda - where does it all go wrong? So much for the Jesuits and their "give me the child" business eh?

I have already sung the praises of the Mr Men books and the part they played in my moral education. For the record I also enjoyed the slightly more madcap Timbucktoo books, but I don't remember seeing these Roundy and Squary books at all. Suppressed, no doubt, by the Establishment. 

6 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad to hear it John. And I would say I am too. From the examples I've provided it's a bit of a no brainer really. The series of four books provide a total of 44 scenarios however and, zooming through them, I think I identify as Roundy in 26 of them (identifying strongly in five of those instances) but I identify as Squary in four (once strongly). In one or two at least of the Roundy positions there is an unpalatable element of smugness. In the remaining 14 situations I am ambivalent.

    I acknowledge that getting all statistical like this may demonstrate Squary leanings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. But squaries shoes are much nicer than roundies sandals

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good point SA, I honestly can't remember which way I went on that one, I know it troubled me. I think I sided with the Roundies on the grounds that sandals have definite political connotations that I could not bear to set myself in opposition to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He must have had a hand in the Access card TV ads in the 70s and 80s ~ your flexible friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant. I always loved the Mr Men books when I was a kid, now I know why: leftist leanings on the part of Hargreaves.

    ReplyDelete